Monthly Archives: June 2011

Farmers of the Sea Recipes

Lowcountry shrimp boil, shrimp and grits, crab stew and crab meat salad are four of the most traditional seafood dishes. Any seafood restaurant worth its salt offers these local dishes, but you can make them at home yourself after returning with buckets of shrimp and crabs pulled fresh from the...
Read more

Great Shots from the Three Toughest Lies in Golf

Hitting a golf ball straight is difficult enough from a flat lie. When you and the ball are suddenly on different levels, it becomes even harder. Facing an uphill lie, downhill lie or sidehill lie is daunting, but like many situations in golf, it can be handled well with an...
Read more

Daufuskie Island Weather

Daufuskie Island is a residential “sea island” between Savannah, Georgia and Hilton Head Island, South Carolina about 2.75 miles offshore. The total island surface is just 8 square miles within the maximum length of 5 miles and maximum width of 2.5 miles. Daufuskie has a full-time population of around 250....
Read more

Farmers of the Sea

Each year, thousands of coastal residents take to the water to cast shrimp nets and lay crab traps in an attempt to capture some of the sea’s rich bounty. Shrimping and crabbing, it seems, are virtually as old as the Lowcountry itself. Ever since native American tribes first harvested oysters...
Read more

Oysters Stand Apart as a Lowcountry Delicacy!

Oysters have been a favorite staple for islanders for centuries. Early Native American harvested oysters, subsisting on the plentiful bivalve populations in Lowcountry waters. At low tide, oysters can be seen rising from tidal saltmarsh creeks throughout the area. In fact, Hilton Head and Daufuskie’s waters have traditionally been considered...
Read more

Public Dock

public dock
In 1883, near this location, Maggioni & Company opened an oyster cannery which provided employment for many islanders. After the cannery closed in 1903, islanders continued to harvest and shuck oysters and transport them to nearby canneries. Daufuskie Island oysters were sold all over the world. This enterprise continued until...
Read more

Sarah Grant Home

sarah grant home
Sarah Grant was midwife, Sunday school president, and PTA president during her influential life. She bought this 1910 house from Fuller Fripp for $15 and had it moved to its present location at a cost of $25, thereby paying $40 for her home. Sarah Grant was married to the island...
Read more

Mary Field Cemetery

mary field cemetery
Mary Field Cemetery is the largest Gullah cemetery on the island. There are grave markers dating from 1926 to the present. Earlier wooden markers have disintegrated from all the Gullah cemeteries and the only indications of those graves are low areas where wooden caskets have collapsed. Graves were usually dug...
Read more

Hinson White Home

hinson white
This charming 1916 house is representative of Daufuskie Island Gullah architecture. Residences were enhanced by porches which provided cooling shade in the hot, muggy summer. Residents could rock on the porch and enjoy the breeze. This house was built by Gullah craftsmen but always occupied by white families. House trim...
Read more

Oyster Union Society Hall

oyster union
From the turn of the 20th century until pollution in the Savannah River ruined the oyster beds in the 1950’s, the primary economy of the island was the harvesting and shucking of oysters. The oyster workers established the Oyster Union Society, a benevolent and burial society that held meetings and...
Read more


Daufuskie Island was divided into eleven plantations at the start of the Civil War, varying in size from two hundred to eleven hundred acres. Plantations such as Melrose were self-contained with almost everything needed produced within the plantation. Very little was purchased. Heavy labor was handled by the slaves and...
Read more

Haig Point

haig point
Located off the coast of South Carolina between Hilton Head and Savannah, Georgia, Haig Point embraces southern family living and the Lowcountry lifestyle. Rich in history, majestic natural beauty and endless recreational opportunities, Haig Point on Daufuskie Island is a private island community where discovery is a daily experience.
Read more

Cooper River Cemetery

cooper river cemetery
A very important segment of Daufuskie Island Gullah life was providing a proper burial for loved ones. Cemeteries were usually set next to moving water in keeping with the Gullah belief that the soul would travel home to Africa via the water. This cemetery borders the Cooper River. There are...
Read more

Tabby Ruin

tabby ruin
Tabby is a building material made from a mixture of ground oyster shells, sand and water. This material was used for buildings on Daufuskie Island, especially on Haig’s Point Plantation. Many slave quarters were constructed of wood and these have long since disintegrated, but remnants of structures made from the...
Read more

Mt. Carmel Baptist Church No. 2

The church building and its predecessor were built by the Cooper River residents of the north end of the island. The first church was destroyed by a hurricane in 1940. This building was built shortly after that. In time the declining population of the island caused the church to close....
Read more

Daufuskie Island Ferry Schedule

ocean wake
Yes you can get to Daufuskie Island from Hilton Head! The Daufuskie Island Ferry Service runs from Buckingham Landing (35 Fording Island Road Ext. Hilton Head 29926) to and from Daufuskie Island. Tickets are $35.00 round-trip. Children 5 and under travel for free. There is no charge for normal cargo...
Read more

Bloody Point Lighthouse & Silver Dew Winery

bloody point lighthouse & silver dew winery
In 1882 the U.S. Government paid $425 for land for the Bloody Point Light: a front range lighthouse and a rear range light tower. The lighthouse is a two-story dwelling with a small dormer window that housed the front light. The light had a brass stand and wind-up clockwork to...
Read more

Bloody Point Cemetery

bloody point cemetery
The Bloody Point Cemetery, one of the six Gullah cemeteries on the island, was established along the Mongin Creek for the burial of slaves during the plantation era and was used until late in the 20th Century. Unfortunately, a portion of the cemetery has been lost to beach erosion. View...
Read more

Bloody Point

bloody point
April 15, 1715, was the date of the first of three skirmishes at this site between the Yemassee Indians and settlers. It was said that there was blood in the water from the dead and injured – and the name Bloody Point has been engraved upon this beautiful shoreline ever...
Read more

The Railroad

the railroad
In the early 1900s, logging became a profitable island investment. Materials to build a narrow-gauge railroad were barged to the island and railroad tracks were laid from the Mongin Creek to Freeport. Flatbed cars transported logs to Jimmy Lee’s Mongin Creek Landing. A canthook flipped logs into the water where...
Read more

Mary Dunn Cemetery

mary dunn cemetery
This cemetery is the only historic cemetery for white people on Daufuskie Island. Established in the 1700s, it borders the Mongin Creek on land provided by Mary Dunn for a family cemetery. In later years permission was given for white people who were not relatives to be buried there. There...
Read more

Moses Ficklin Cottage and Oak Tree

moses ficklin cottage
The enormous ancient live oak fronting this restored Gullah home is thought to have greeted Spanish explorers when they first came to Daufuskie Island. The classic Gullah house was constructed under its shady, cool branches circa 1925. Moses Ficklin was a deacon of the First Union African Baptist Church and...
Read more

Mary Fields School

mary fields school
The two room Mary Fields School was built for the island’s black children in the early 1930s. Leftover wood was used to construct desks for the students. The school was integrated after the last white child graduated from the White School House in 1962. The school was immortalized by Pat...
Read more

First Union African Baptist Church

first union african baptist church
The church was built in 1884 near the site of the 1881 church that was destroyed by fire. It has stood as a center of worship and faith on the island, with only one significant break in services since that time. The building was restored in the 1990’s. A replica...
Read more