In 1882 the U.S. Government paid $425 for land for the Bloody Point Light: a front range lighthouse and a rear range light tower. The lighthouse is a two-story dwelling with a small dormer window that housed the front light. The light had a brass stand and wind-up clockwork to turn the light. The synchronized lights guided ships into the Savannah River Channel from 1883 to 1922. The lighthouse had to be relocated inland a number of times as the shoreline receded. The small building that stored kerosene for the light now is known as the Silver Dew Winery.