The enormous ancient live oak fronting this restored Gullah home is thought to have greeted Spanish explorers when they first came to Daufuskie Island. The classic Gullah house was constructed under its shady, cool branches circa 1925. Moses Ficklin was a deacon of the First Union African Baptist Church and the Gullah undertaker, assisted by his wife Grace. He always kept a supply of $100 caskets on hand. The old carriage that was used as a hearse can be viewed outside the Mt. Carmel Baptist Church No. 2 at the Billie Burn Museum.