The church building and its predecessor were built by the Cooper River residents of the north end of the island. The first church was destroyed by a hurricane in 1940. This building was built shortly after that. In time the declining population of the island caused the church to close. In 2001 the Daufuskie Island Historical Foundation bought the property, restored the building, and opened the Billie Burn Museum, named after long-time residents and island historian, Billie Burn. The Museum contains artifacts illustrating periods of island history.
Jane Hamilton School (Gullah Learning Center)
Cooper River children attended school in the Mt. Carmel Baptist Church No. 1 until it was destroyed by the hurricane in 1940. The one room Jane Hamilton School was then built and was open for ten years. After that, transportation was provided to take the children to the Mary Fields School. In 2008 the Daufuskie Island Historical Foundation leased the structure from the Beaufort County Board of Education and restored it. This historic structure is currently home to the Gullah Learning Center and the island’s community library.