The Pinckney Island National Wildlife Refuge, located near the bridge to Hilton Head Island, offers an ideal place to enjoy the natural beauty of the Lowcountry.
Once part of the plantation of Major General Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, a prominent South Carolina attorney, from 1801 to 1815, this wildlife refuge features 14 miles of trails and an abundance of wildlife.
From 1937 to 1975, when it was donated to the Fish and Wildlife Service, Pinckney Island was privately owned. At that time, it was a game preserve. Established in 1975, the Pinckney Island National Wildlife Refuge features more than 4,000 acres of wild Lowcountry beauty. It includes Pinckney Island, Corn Island, Big Harry Island, Little Harry Island, Buzzard Island and numerous small hammocks.
Nearly 67% of the refuge consists of salt marsh and tidal creeks.
These support a diversity of bird and plant life. Wildlife commonly observed on here include waterfowl. Shorebirds, bald eagles, wood storks, raptors, neo-tropical migrants love its quiet environment. There is a large concentrations of white ibis, herons, and egrets. White-tailed deer and American alligators thrive here as well. The refuge offers ideal opportunities for hiking, bicycling, photography and wildlife observation.