Today, Bloody Point is a residential community on the southernmost tip of Daufuskie Island.
But in the late 17th and early 18th centuries, Bloody Point was a part of the land settled by European colonists. And in 1715, it was the site of a violent battle, during the Yemassee War. In the 18th century, the Europeans divided up the the Island. Soon after, the Spanish grew uncomfortable having the English so close to their Florida settlements.
As a result, they began to encourage and reward Yemassee Indians and other local tribes for undertaking raids on the Daufuskie colonists’ settlements. During one such raid, the beaches on the southernmost tip of Daufuskie ran red with blood, earning it the title “Bloody Point”. Bloody Point served as the battleground for three separate skirmishes before the American Revolutionary War.
The Native Americans ultimately lost these battles and their land, which led to the plantation era on Daufuskie. Through the 18th and 19th centuries, Daufuskie was the site of twelve farming plantations,. The plantations produced a rare kind of cotton, Sea Island Cotton. When the cotton crops died in 1922, oystering became the main industry on Daufuskie. Few residents lived on Bloody Point at this time.
In the 1980s, developers began to regard Daufuskie, as having potential for oceanfront communities.
In 1984 a Hilton Head businessmen bought the central and southern land on Daufuskie. This resulted in the development of Bloody Point and Melrose, as well as the creation of the Melrose Company.
Bloody Point and Melrose became the sites for two golf courses and resorts. The Bloody Point Course was constructed in 1991, designed by Tom Weiskopf and Jay Morrish.
Bloody Point is also the home of several historic places, such as Bloody Point Range Lights and the Silver Dew Winery. The Range Lights were constructed around 1883. The position of this range light, coupled with that of Haig Point, helped ensure the safe passage of ships to the port of Savannah.
The Silver Dew Winery, built in 1883, originated as a part of the lighthouse structure. It became the first licensed winery in South Carolina. Papy Burn, the last assistant keeper of the lighthouse, lived there for over forty years. He fermented fruit to make small amounts of wine for his friends.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia